This is an easy and quick cake that you can whip up in less than an hour, perfect for a morning or afternoon snack or when you have those unexpected guests popping over for a cup of tea.
It can also be made gluten free so you know that everybody will love it and for an even more wintery taste you can throw in some additional spices like ground cardamom or cloves. Get cosy in front of the fire with this one.
Winter Pear & Almond Cake
- For the Winter Pear & Almond Cake:
- 150 grams of Vegan butter (room temperature)
- 150 grams of caster sugar
- 130 grams of almond flour/ground almonds
- 140 grams of self raising flour (or gluten free self-raising flour)
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 100 ml of plant milk
- 1 tsp of vanilla powder
- 2 pears sliced (cut horizontally into 4/6 pieces)
- 1 tbs of brown sugar
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
- Start off by creaming the butter and caster sugar in a bowl until it’s all nice and soft and fluffy. Then add all the other ingredients (except the pears) gradually and mix well until you have a creamy consistency.
- Pre butter a 20 cm cake tin, ladle in your cake mixture and flatten with the back of your spatula.
- Slice your pears horizontally into 4-6 pieces (depending on how big your pears are and arrange with the tiniest bit in the middle and the thicker bit of the pear touching the edge of the cake tin.
- Gently push the pear pieces down so that they are surrounded by pillowy cake batter. Sprinkle it with brown sugar and cinnamon on top.
- Place in the middle of the oven and cook for 30 to 40 minutes. I usually switch the oven off after 30 minutes and let the cake cook on after heat. Once cooked let the cake cool down. Serve with plant cream or custard and enjoy!