A warming wintery dish, where each of the homemade components here marry up to make a dinner that is sure to impress. The cauliflower rice is a great option that is lighter than traditional potato mash (see if your guests notice the difference!), and who doesn’t love a dish with a home made tomato sauce.
My husband’s Italian family love this plant based version of a traditional meatball dish. I hope you do too!
Walnut, Spinach, Plant balls in Tomato sauce & Cauliflower Mash
- For the Plant Balls:
- 150 grams walnuts (pulsed in small container)
- 1 can of chickpeas (280 grams drained)
- 1 handful of spinach
- salt & pepper to taste For the Tomato Sauce:
- ¼ leek (chopped)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- olive oil for frying
- outer leaves of Cauliflower chopped
- 3 tomatoes (whizzed in middle sized container) For the Cauliflower Mash:
- 1 small head of cauliflower (save the inner leaves)
- 1 dollop of coconut cream
- salt & pepper
- Start off by blitzing the walnuts in the smaller Vitamix container (or another blender). Then add all your plant ball ingredients to the bigger blender container and pulse. You do not want to overmix this as you still want to have some bite. Once mixed, shape into balls and set aside ready for frying.
- For the cauliflower mash, cut the leaves off and clean, chop and set aside. Cut into the cauliflower and separate the florets and add to a pot of boiling water and cook for 10 minutes until soft but not overcooked. Once cooked, drain and set aside.
- For the tomato sauce add the tomatoes into the medium sized blender container and whizz until you have a tomato sauce. In a pan, fry off leek and onion in some olive oil, add the cauliflower leaves and cook for 5 to 10 minutes until soft. Add your tomatoes, salt and pepper to taste and cook for another ten minutes.
- In a separate pan heat up some olive oil and fry off the plant balls. I love a crispy outer and a soft inner. So make sure you cook evenly on each side for a few minutes. Add the plant balls into the tomato sauce and leave on low heat so that they keep warm and heat through.
- While they are cooking, whizz up the cauliflower mash with a dollop of coconut cream and blitz until creamy and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Plate up with a dollop of cauliflower mash and some tomato sauce and a couple of plant balls. Enjoy while it is nice and hot.