These colourful little beauties are crispy on the outside and soft on
the inside. They pack a spice punch and hit the spot!
Veggie Fritters with Sweet Chilli Dip
- For the Vegan Egg
- 60 g (2 oz/scant 1⁄2 cup) chickpea (gram) flour
- 1/8 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 125 ml (4 oz/1⁄2 cup) water
- olive oil, for frying For the Filling
- 1/4 courgette (zucchini), cut into ribbons with a vegetable peeler
- 1 teaspoon Jamaican jerk spice
- 1 red or yellow (bell) pepper, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 carrot, cut into ribbons
- 1 spring onion (scallion), green and all, sliced
- 1 bunch of rainbow chard or kale, chopped
- salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- chilli jam and vegetables or green salad, to serve Boosters:
- sesame seeds
- hemp hearts
- Mix the flour, bicarbonate of soda, cider vinegar and water in a large mixing bowl and leave to stand.
- Squeeze the courgette of excess liquid and add to the vegan egg mix with the rest of the vegetables.
- Heat a splash of olive oil in a large frying pan (skillet) and spoon out the fritters four at a time. I then gently press down the fritters with a saucepan lid that is smaller than the pan.
- Fry for 3–5 minutes on each side until golden brown and crisp. Repeat with the rest of the mixture and serve immediately with chilli jam and extra fresh greens or seed sprinkles.