This vegan spinach filo pastry is high in protein, great for breakfast or as a savoury snack. Let me know if you try it!
Vegan Spinach Filo Pastry
- For the Spinach Filo Pastry
- 1 packet filo pastry
- olive oil for frying
- 3 spring onions, chopped
- 100g firm tofu
- 1 bag of spinach
- 1 tin of chickpeas, drained
- 1 tbsp of baharat
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 packet of parsley (25g), chopped, stems and all
- nigella seeds for topping
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
- Heat some olive oil in a frying pan and cook the spring onions for 2-3 mins. Then crumble the tofu into the pan and cook for a further 3-4 mins.
- Add the spinach which will wilt, then add the chickpeas and press these down with the back of a ladle or spoon, to slightly mash them. Add the baharat and salt & pepper and stir well.
- Remove from the heat and once cooled slightly, stir in the chopped parsley.
- Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper and cover with a layer of olive oil.
- Put a double layer of filo (2 sheets) onto a flat surface, add some of the mixture horizontally along the long edge of the double filo sheets, then fold the filo around the mixture creating a long cigar shape. Make sure to use 2 filo sheets to wrap this so that they don’t rip.
- Repeat this to make more cigar shaped filled filos. You should have enough for 4-5 ‘cigars’.
- Starting in the middle of the baking tray, snail the long filo sheets around each other towards the outer part of the tray to create a circular shape.
- Baste the filo with olive oil and sprinkle the top with nigella seeds, and cook in the oven for 30-40 mins until golden brown.
TIP: if you don’t have baharat, you could make up your own spice blend using some of all of its ingredients. A typical baharat mixture includes: ground black pepper, paprika, coriander, nutmeg, cinnamon, cardamom, cumin, and cloves.