We’ve all had a classic Roly Poly Cake but have you ever tried a Matcha one? Its sweet earthy taste combined with vanilla will be the vegan treat you didn’t even know you needed.
Vegan Matcha Roly Poly Cake Recipe
- For the Cake:
- 240g self raising flour
- 120g icing sugar
- 1 vanilla pod, scraped, or 1 tsp vanilla paste or essence
- 2 tbsp matcha powder
- 120 plant milk (I like to use oat milk)
- 100g plant yoghurt
- 130g plant butter For the Filling:
- 200ml coconut cream, whipped
- ½ vanilla pod, scraped, or ½ tsp vanilla paste or essence
- 1 tbsp matcha powder (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
- Add all cake ingredients into a bowl except the matcha, and whisk or stir together well. Sieve matcha into the bowl and stir through until combined.
- Line a large oven tray with greaseproof paper and pour in the mix, spreading it thinly across the base of the tray until it is approx 1cm in height.
- Put in the oven for 10 minutes. Remove and leave to cool on the greaseproof paper.
- Meanwhile whip up the coconut cream and vanilla together.
- Once cooled, add the whipped cream on top of the thin cake and spread across the whole base, leaving 1cm around the edges.
- At this stage, you can add the extra tbsp matcha powder (if using) sieved over the layer of cream.
- Start at the shorter edge and roll up, peeling back the greaseproof paper as you go.
- Transfer the roll carefully to a chopping board or serving tray, cut into slices, and enjoy!