You may be thinking what are whoopie pies? Originating from the Amish community in Lancaster County Pennsylvania, these treats could be described as cookie sandwiches or pies with cream as the filling. This recipe has been adapted to be vegan and gluten free.
Vegan Chocolate Whoopie Pies Recipe
- For the Pies
- 120g brown soft sugar
- 100g vegan butter
- 240ml plant milk
- ½ tsp vanilla powder
- 120g self raising flour
- 4 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch salt For the Filling:
- 320ml coconut cream
- 2 tbsp of maple syrup
- ½ vanilla pod, scraped, or ½ tsp vanilla paste or extract
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the sugar and butter together using an electric or a hand whisk. Then add the rest of the ingredients for the pies, and mix well.
- Line an oven tray with greaseproof paper, and using an ice cream scoop, portion out 6 cookies on the tray, leaving some space between each one.
- Cook in the oven for 12-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile make the filling by whisking the ingredients together until you have the texture of whipped cream, and set aside in the fridge to chill.
- Once the pies are done, cook them on a cooling rack until they are completely cooled (this is very important).
- Gently take each cookie and add the cream filling to the flat side, then top with another cookie to create your Whoopie Pies!