Fun for the family, why not make this vegan cake together this Easter? This chocolate & hazelnut cake recipe is super easy to make. Let me know in the comments how yours went 🙂
Vegan Chocolate & Hazelnut Easter Wreath Recipe
- For the Bread
- 125ml plant milk (I like to use oat milk)
- 50g olive oil
- 7g packet dried yeast
- 40g brown sugar
- 350g plain flour
- pinch of salt
- 75g plant yoghurt For the Filling
- 100g hazelnuts
- 1 bar dark chocolate, approx 80g
- 30g brown sugar
- Heat the plant milk in a pan until warm (not too hot, it should be warm enough to touch but not burn your finger). Pour into a large mixing bowl, add the sugar and yeast and stir to dissolve. Now add the rest of the bread ingredients and mix together to combine to form a ball of dough.
- Empty onto a floured surface and knead the dough for a few minutes, then pop the dough back into the bowl, cover with a tea towel and leave to rest for 45 mins.
- After 45 mins, grease a cake tin with olive or coconut oil.
- Put the hazelnuts into a blender or food processor and blitz on pulse until light and floury, careful not to overblend otherwise a paste will form.
- Empty the rested dough onto a floured surface and using a rolling pin, roll out as thin as possible into a large rectangular shape.
- Pour some olive oil onto the rolled dough, and using a pastry brush, spread the olive oil across the whole surface.
- Covering the whole surface of the dough, first sprinkle the brown sugar, then the ground up hazelnuts, and finally grate the chocolate on top.
- Starting at one of the long edges, carefully roll up the pastry, away from you, to create a long log.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the log in half lengthways so you now have 2 long pieces, then starting at one end, twist / plait one piece over the other until you have reached the other end.
- Lift this into your greased cake tin and set it around the whole of the edge of the tin, leaving a blank space in the middle. Scoop up any crumbs and pour over the top of the bread. Cover and set aside to rise for another 45 mins.
- Once rested, preheat the oven to 180ºC and cook for 45 mins until nice and golden brown.