If you are looking to change things up then this vegan salad is definitely something new to try. You may have never heard of Chicory. It is has a mildly bitter taste to it which is popular in parts of Italy. This salad has plenty of nuts to help you get in some natural fats which supports your brain function. Along with this you get the sweet tart taste of the grapefruit and the sweet crunchiness from the apple. It’s a salad that will surprise you with its impressive flavour profile. Let me know in the comments what you think of this or tag me in your photos over on Instagram.
Vegan Chicory & Grapefruit Salad
- For the Salad:
- 2 white chicory
- 2 purple chicory
- 1 baby gem lettuce
- 1 apple, sliced
- 30g walnuts
- 1 grapefruit, skin removed, cut into segments For the Dressing:
- 60g cashews, soaked in water for 2 hours
- 60ml water
- 1 tbsp fresh dill
- juice of ½ a lemon
- 1 clove garlic
- salt & pepper to taste For the Topping:
- 4-5 macadamia nuts
- Drain and rinse the soaked cashew nuts, then place them along with the remaining dressing ingredients into a blender and blitz until smooth.
- On a flat salad platter, place the chicory and lettuce leaves across the base and edges, then add the apple and grapefruit on top.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and sprinkle with the walnuts.
- Using a microplane (or small grater), grate the macadamia nuts over the top.