Summer Garden Veg Soup & Herby Bean Balls
- For the Summer Garden Veg Soup:
- a good glug of olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 courgette, diced
- 1 potato, diced
- handful of frozen or fresh peas
- 500 ml water
- handful of spring greens For the Herby Bean Balls:
- 1 tin pinto beans
- 1 tbsp parsley, chopped
- 1 tbsp dill, chopped
- 1 tbsp thyme, chopped
- ½ onion, chopped and caramelized
- 2 tbsp corn flour
- salt & pepper to taste To Serve:
- 1 tsp chopped dill
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- Heat the olive oil in a pan over medium heat and fry the onion, garlic and carrot until the onion is golden and the carrot is tender.
- Add the bay leaf and the rest of the vegetables, except the spring greens. Add the water and let the soup simmer for 20 minutes until the vegetables are soft but not mushy.
- Meanwhile, make the bean balls by adding all the ingredients to a bowl and mix well to incorporate. You can use your hands to combine everything and then form small balls by compacting the mixture in your hands so that they don’t fall apart.
- When you are ready to serve the soup, stir in the chopped spring greens at the last minute to wilt.
- Add the bean balls to the bottom of the serving bowls and ladle hot soup over them.
- Serve immediately with the chopped herbs scattered on top. This is by far one of my favourite ways of eating as many veggies as possible in one sitting!