Easy to make Vegan Shepherd's Pie
- For the Pie:
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon herbes de Provence
- 30g thyme leaves, chopped
- 60g red lentils
- 125g quinoa
- 240ml vegan stock
- 350ml passata (sieved tomatoes)
- olive oil, for frying
- pinch of salt and freshly cracked black pepper For the Mash:
- 4 large carrots, chopped
- 1 potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon plant cream
- 2 tbsp breadcrumbs To Serve:
- Steamed greens or salad
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4).
- Cook the carrots and potatoes in boiling water for about 10 minutes until soft. Drain and set aside to cool. Mash with a splash of plant cream and salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat a generous glug of olive oil in a large saucepan and fry the onion, garlic until nice and soft. Add the spices, herbs and lentils and give it a good mix, then add the quinoa and stock, bring to a simmer, then simmer for 5–10 minutes until the lentils are soft. Stir in the passata and season with salt and pepper to taste. Give it a good mix, then set aside.
- Now for the assembly. Spoon the quinoa mix into the bottom of a small to medium-size oven dish, top with the carrot mash, finished with a sprinkle of breadcrumbs, and pop in the oven for a good 20 minutes. Put the oven on grill 5 minutes before getting the pie out of the oven to get a golden crust (or make sure you use a flameproof dish and flash it under a hot grill (broiler) to finish.
- Once out of the oven serve with steamed greens or salad.