If you are feeling a bit adventurous one morning and you want to try something refreshing, without a doubt this savoury vegan porridge recipe is for you. Firstly, eating oats is a super filling way to start your day. Combined with Cavola Nero and you will be fueled and focused right through to lunch time.
Savoury Vegan Porridge with Hemp Seeds and Greens Recipe
- For the Savoury Porridge
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1–2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄2 shallot, chopped
- 1 thumb-sized piece of ginger root, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄2 vegan stock cube
- 120g oats
- 625ml water, plus a sprinkling for the green vegetables
- 1 handful of spinach, chopped
- 1/2 head of cavalo nero, chopped
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1 spring onion (scallion), green and all, finely chopped Boosters:
- splash of sesame oil
- hemp seeds
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan and add the garlic, shallot and ginger and fry for 5 minutes until soft. Crumble in the stock cube, then add the oats, followed by the water and bring to a simmer. Continue to simmer, stirring occasionally, for a good 5 minutes until thick and creamy.
- Meanwhile, heat a small pan and add the kale and cavalo nero and a sprinkle of water and heat over a medium heat for a couple of minutes to soften the leaves. Add the tamari and stir through, then set aside.
- Once the porridge has thickened, ladle a few spoonfuls into a bowl and top with the beautiful wilted greens and the finely chopped spring onion. Top with a splash of sesame oil and sprinkle of hemp seeds if using. Eat immediately while still warm.