- For the Savoury Porridge
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1–2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄2 shallot, chopped
- 1 thumb-sized piece of ginger root, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄2 vegan stock cube
- 120g oats
- 625ml water, plus a sprinkling for the green vegetables
- 1 handful of spinach, chopped
- 1/2 head of cavalo nero, chopped
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1 spring onion (scallion), green and all, finely chopped Boosters:
- splash of sesame oil
- hemp seeds
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan and add the garlic, shallot and ginger and fry for 5 minutes until soft. Crumble in the stock cube, then add the oats, followed by the water and bring to a simmer. Continue to simmer, stirring occasionally, for a good 5 minutes until thick and creamy.
- Meanwhile, heat a small pan and add the kale and cavalo nero and a sprinkle of water and heat over a medium heat for a couple of minutes to soften the leaves. Add the tamari and stir through, then set aside.
- Once the porridge has thickened, ladle a few spoonfuls into a bowl and top with the beautiful wilted greens and the finely chopped spring onion. Top with a splash of sesame oil and sprinkle of hemp seeds if using. Eat immediately while still warm.