Chia puddings are a great quick breakfast, especially for those suffering from porridge fatigue. This is a quick version with a twist – add whatever toppings or milk you like. Pistachio is one of my favourite milks but it isn’t one that you can buy in shops, which makes this twist extra special. From my plant based cookbook Happy Food.
Pistachio Milk Chia Pudding in a Jar
- 60 g raw shelled pistachio nuts
- 250 ml water
- 1/2 vanilla pod (bean), scraped, or 1/2 teaspoon ground vanilla pod
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- a dash of rose water (optional)
- 5 tablespoons chia seeds To serve
- Granola Crunch (see page 22 of Happy Food)
- nut butter, shop-bought or home-made
- berries or cherries
- Place the pistachios, water, vanilla seeds or powder, maple syrup and rose water (if using) in a blender and blitz until you have a light green milk.
- Put the chia seeds in a jar and cover with the pistachio milk, pulp and all. Pop the lid on and give it a good shake.
- You can leave the jar in the fridge overnight or wait for at least 30 minutes until the chia seeds absorb all the liquid and you are left with a lovely thick consistency.
- Top off your jar with any of the serving alternatives. My personal favourites are granola crunch, a dollop of nut butter and berries or slices of orange.