This is probably my favourite meal in the book. You know it sounds silly-simple when the method is shorter than the ingredient list – and SPOILER: that’s because it is. But there is something very comforting about that, that makes me come back to it again and again. Plus, you can batch cook and freeze it for those busy days when you don’t feel like cooking but need something delicious and nourishing to perk you back up. This is a wet curry dish, almost like a hybrid between a decadent curry and delicious broth.
This recipe is from my second cookbook The 7 Day Vegan Challenge, out now. Grab your copy here.
Rainbow Curry, Rice and Veggies
- Olive oil, for frying
- 1 leek, green and all, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1⁄2 red (bell) pepper, chopped
- 100 g (31⁄2 oz) sugar snap peas
- 1⁄2 courgette (zucchini), chopped
- 1 tablespoon yellow curry powder
- 400 ml (13 fl oz/generous 11⁄2 cups) coconut milk
- 1 handful of cherry tomatoes, halved
- 60 g (2 oz/scant 1⁄2 cup) precooked rice
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- Herb salad, to serve
- Dollop of coconut yoghurt, to serve
- Heat a little olive oil in a large frying pan (skillet) and fry the leek for 5 minutes until soft. Add the other veggies and the curry powder and cook for another 5–10 minutes on simmer.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the coconut milk, cherry tomatoes and cooked rice and heat through. Serve with a herb salad and dollop of coconut yoghurt. Eat while piping hot.
Make sure to tag me in your colourful creations @bettinaskitchen and use the #The7DayVeganChallengeCookAlong