Rainbow Carrot Salad with Gomasio
- For the Salad:
- 5 multi-coloured carrots (orange, purple, yellow), peeled
- 1 chioggia beetroot, peeled For the Gomasio:
- 50g white sesame seeds
- 30g black sesame seeds
- pinch of chili flakes
- 1 tbsp salt For the Dressing:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- To make the gomasio, add the white and black sesame seeds and chilli flakes to a small non stick pan over a medium heat (no need for oil), and fry for a few minutes until slightly toasted. Keep stirring and keep a watch on these so that they don’t burn!
- Empty into a small blender, add the salt and blitz until you have a fine flour like consistency. Add to a glass jar and use this to add flavour to many dishes such as salads, soups, stir frys, toast toppings etc.
- Shave the carrots using a vegetable peeler along the whole length of the carrot, to create thin shavings of carrot. When you can’t shave any more, thinly slice up the remaining part of the carrot.
- Slice the chioggia beetroot thinly and add this and the carrots to a bowl.
- Mix the dressing ingredients together and pour over the carrots and beetroot and mix well.
- Transfer to a serving platter and sprinkle generously with the gomasio.