This is a real treat of a mayonnaise and super-easy to make into the bargain. You can add any flavour to it once it has been made. It lasts for a good week in the fridge, too. You can save your chickpeas for hummus or any of the other recipes in this book – it lasts about 3 or 4 days in the fridge. You can add lots of different flavours to the mayonnaise, such as chopped herbs, spices and more.
- For the Mayonnaise
- 31⁄2 tablespoons aquafaba (liquid from tinned chickpeas (garbanzos))
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 120 ml (4 oz/1⁄2 cup) organic rapeseed oil (organic is usually a lot yellower) - 60 ml (2 oz/1/4 cup) olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 pinch of salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- Put the aquafaba, lemon juice and apple cider vinegar in a bowl and whisk until combined.
- Whisking continuously gradually begin to add the rapeseed oil until the mixture emulsifies and starts coming together as a mayonnaise.
- Continue whisking and slowly adding the olive oil until it is all incorporated. Season with salt and pepper to taste.