Pistachio Base & Strawberry Cake
- For the Pistachio Cake Base:
- 480g gluten free flour
- 200g pistachio nuts
- 500ml plant milk (I like to use oat milk)
- 250ml maple syrup
- 250ml melted coconut oil
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- small pinch of pink Himalayan salt
- 2 vanilla pod (bean), scraped or 2 tsp vanilla paste or extract For the Filling:
- 550g coconut cream, whipped
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- zest of ½ an orange For the Topping:
- 200g strawberries, washed & halved (keep the green part on for colour)
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
- Line 2 x 20cm cake tins with greaseproof paper.
- Add the pistachio nuts to a blender and blitz until a fine flour is formed – careful not to overblend into a paste.
- Add this plus the remaining cake ingredients to a food processor and blend everything together for about 5 minutes until well incorporated.
- Pour the mixture into the cake tins and bake in the middle of the oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, then transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Meanwhile, make the cream filling by whipping up the coconut cream with an electric whisk, then stir in the vanilla, maple syrup and orange zest. Keep refrigerated until ready to use.
- Once the cakes have cooled, slice them horizontally through the middle to create 4 thin cakes, then layer them on top of each other with a quarter of the whipped cream filling between each one and on top.
- Decorate with a layer of halved strawberries on the top of the cake, and enjoy!