Being married to a partially Italian man with an Italian father, I knew I had to figure out a way of including a ‘Parmesan-like’ topping on some of my dishes. This works really well with pasta dishes, salads, soups and bowl foods.
- For the Nut Parmesan
- 60 g (2 oz / 1/2 cup) almond flour
- 60 g (2 oz / 1/2 cup) unsalted hazelnuts, or buy toasted if you prefer
- 1 tablespoon salt To Add In:
- chilli flakes (red pepper flakes) – for the daring spice lovers
- 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast – for the fully fledged vegans
- If you don’t have pre-toasted hazelnuts, start by toasting the nuts in a hot frying pan (skillet) until slightly brown and let cool.
- Once cool, either crush in a pestle and mortar or whizz in a food processor or coffee grinder until you get a chunky consistency.
- Simply mix the rest of the ingredients together and you have the perfect sprinkle for pasta dishes, salads and anything you would normally grate Parmesan over.
- Use either of the add-ins for extra flavour impact.
- This works really well with pasta dishes, salads, soups and bowl foods.