A bowl of goodness and a great refreshing alternative to a lentil spaghetti bolognese. This has bite a bit of heat and tons of goodness in one place. It will easily become a staple dish in your weekly repertoire, trust me!
Not a Lentil Spag Bol
- For the Not a Lentil Spag Bol
- 150 g (5 oz / 3/4 cup) quinoa, (slightly under-cooked)
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced olive oil, for frying
- 220 g (8 oz / 1 cup) walnuts, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fajita spice mix or taco spice
- 1 tablespoon tomato purée (paste)
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 handful cavalo nero, roughly chopped and de-stringed
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 250 grams of penne pasta (cooked), to serve
1. In a hot pan, add the red onion and garlic and fry in the olive oil until the onions are soft and translucent, for about 5 minutes.
2. Add the chopped walnuts, quinoa, spices, and cook for 10 minutes until the quinoa and walnuts are slightly crunchy, then add tomato purée and chopped tomatoes and cook for another 10 to 15 minutes over a medium heat, until all the ingredients are well incorporated and have become a smokey lovely mix.
3. While the sauce is cooking boil the pasta per packet instructions (usually for 8 minutes).
4. Once the pasta has cooked, drain it and add to the sauce mixture and stir in the cavalo nero just before serving!
5. Tip: It goes really well with my Rawmesan as a extra topping!