Jackfruit is a natural substitute for meat which contains no added preservatives that you would find in soya “meat” substitutes. Why order take out when you can make this easy vegan recipe yourself?
’Not a Duck’ Vegan Pancakes Recipe
- For the Pancakes:
- 135g plain flour
- 70g boiling water
- 1½ tbsp sesame oil, or other vegetable oil For the Filling:
- 2 large tins of jackfruit (approx 1100g)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 60ml hoisin sauce
- ½ cucumber, sliced into thin matchsticks
- 1 spring onion, sliced into thin matchsticks
- handful of white sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 220ºC.
- Slice the jackfruit thinly and spread across an oven tray lined with greaseproof paper. Pour olive oil over the jackfruit and roast in the oven for 20-30 mins until nice and crispy.
- While the jackfruit is cooking, make the pancakes. Mix together the flour, oil and water and make into a ball of dough, adding more flour if necessary. Empty onto a floured surface and knead for a few minutes until it feels springy.
- Roll the dough into a long sausage shape and cut into 12 pieces and roll each piece into a small ball. Using a rolling pin, roll these out to be as thin as possible and dry fry each pancake in a non stick frying pan over a medium to high heat, turning once until browned on each side.
- When the jackfruit is ready, add the hoisin sauce, mix well and put in a serving bowl. Sprinkle with the sesame seeds.
- Put the cucumber and spring onion matchsticks into serving bowls and when the pancakes are ready, assemble up your ‘Not a Duck’ pancakes!