My passport is Danish, my father Norwegian and I grew up in Sweden. I have been
influenced by Scandinavian culture and flavours my whole life. This is an old Swedish classic with a plant-based twist, topped off with my grandmother’s quick pickle. Truly, this is comfort in a bowl.
- For the Sweet & Sour Pickles:
- 2 cucumbers (English)
- 120 ml (4 fl oz / 1/2 cup) apple cider vinegar
- 30 grams sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped dill
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped red onion or shallot
- Slice the cucumber thinly on a mandolin or use a cheese slicer. Put the slices in a bowl, toss them with the salt, and leave to stand for about 10 minutes.
- Combine the sugar and apple cider vinegar in a clean glass jar big enough to house all the sliced cucumber and mix until dissolved.
- Add the onion and dill and bay leaf.
- Add the cucumber slices into the jar and make sure they are covered with the apple cider vinegar/sugar solution they should be completely covered by the brine. You can enjoy straight away (therefor the name quick pickle) or you can leave in the fridge for up to two weeks and enjoy daily.
- You can make a bigger batch if you prefer, as the cucumbers will last for at least a few weeks in the fridge. Just make sure you always use a clean utensil when helping yourself to the pickles to avoid spoilage.