Marinated Tofu & Pita Bread
- For the Tofu & Pita Bread
- 400g firm tofu
- 4 pita pockets
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 4 baby gem lettuce leaves For the Marinade:
- 1 tbsp harissa paste
- 200g plant yoghurt
- juice and zest of 1/2 lemon For the Quick Pickle:
- 1⁄2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- sprinkle of brown sugar Toppings:
- handful of pomegranate seeds (optional)
- fresh basil leaves (optional)
- Cut the tofu into large squares, approx 3x3cm.
- Mix the marinade ingredients together in a large bowl. Take out 2 tbsp of the marinade and set aside, to use as a sauce inside the pita later. Add the squares of tofu to the large bowl and gently toss to make sure they are fully covered. You can marinate these overnight or, if short on time, you can quick marinate them for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper, and arrange the marinated tofu cubes leaving a little bit of space between them. Cook in oven for 20 mins, then under the grill for 10 mins to crisp up, turning half way through.
- While the tofu is cooking in the oven, soak the onion in the apple cider vinegar and brown sugar to make a quick pickle.
- Cut open the pita pockets, spread some of the remaining marinade inside the pita, and fill with lettuce, tomato and the crispy tofu squares. Top with some quick pickle, basil leaves & pomegranate seeds (if using), and finish off with a final drizzle of the marinade.