Macadamia Cheese Portobello Mushrooms
- For the Portobello Mushrooms:
- 2-4 lg portobello mushrooms
- 1 batch of macadamia nut cheese
- glug of olive oil For the Macadamia Cheese (makes a 500g jar):
- 280g macadamia nuts
- 160ml water
- 1/2 probiotic capsule
- pinch of salt & pepper
- handful of fresh basil
- 1/2 clove garlic, grated
- Start by soaking the macadamia nuts for 2 hours by putting them in a bowl and covering with water.
- Drain the nuts and tip them into a blender along with the water and probiotic and blitz until you get a smooth texture. As this is a ricotta-style cheese the texture can be slightly bitty, which I personally love. If you are doing this in a high-speed blender, make sure not to overheat the mixture as this will kill off the probiotics.
- Once blended, mix in the basil, garlic and salt & pepper, and transfer to a clean glass or plastic container. Do not use a metal one as the mixture won’t ferment. Leave the container outside the fridge for 24 hours with a tea towel or muslin cloth (cheesecloth) on top so that the mixture can breathe.
- After 24 hours your mixture will be slightly fizzy and bubbly. Place a proper top on and leave in the fridge until you need it. It will last for up to 7 days in the fridge.
- Pre-heat oven to 200ºC.
- Place the mushrooms on a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper, and fill with the macadamia cheese. Drizzle olive oil over the top and cook in the oven for 20-30 minutes.