This is not a traditional Japanese soup. It is the Bettina’s Kitchen coming home from work, quick-fix soup and it’s delicious.
Japanese Soba Noodle Vegan Soup
- For the Japanese Soba Noodle Soup
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 1 litre/34 oz/4 cups boiling water
- 200 g (7 oz) soba noodles
- 2 tablespoons miso paste
- 1 thumb-sized piece of ginger root, grated
- 2 pak choy (bok choy), halved
- 2 spring onions (scallions), green and all, sliced
- olive oil, for frying
- a sprinkle of sesame seeds, to serve (optional)
- Heat a little olive oil in a medium sized pan and fry the shallot for a few minutes until translucent.
- Add the boiling water and the noodles and bring to a simmer for about 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix miso with some water and the ginger, add to the broth and give it a good mix. Cut the pak choy in half and add to the broth, scatter the spring onions on top and serve the soup immediately, topped with the sesame seeds, if using.