If you have never had griddled pineapple, then now is definitely the time to try it. The chilli adds a kick and beautifully contrasts the dreamy almond whip. The cream keeps for four days in the fridge but doesn’t usually last that long!
- For the Grilled Pineapple
- 1 small pineapple
- 1 pinch of chilli powder or flakes
- 1 tiny sprinkle of salt For the Almond Whip:
- 125g (4 oz/3/4 cup) blanched almonds
- 240ml (8 oz/1 cup) boiling water
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste
- To start the almond whip, put the almonds in a bowl, pour over the boiling water, then set aside.
- Prepare the pineapple by cutting off the top and bottom, then the sides. Cut in quarters, then remove the hard core in the middle. Slice the flesh into thick moons.
- Heat up a griddle pan over a high heat and add the pineapple. Sprinkle a small amount of chilli and a tiny bit of salt over them and char the pineapple quickly on both sides.
- Meanwhile, pour the almonds and their soaking water into a blender and add the maple syrup and vanilla paste. Blend a beautiful white, smooth cream. Serve the hot pineapple slices with a generous dollop of almond whip.