This is one of my favourite things to make. Once you start this will become a weekly staple I promise. Crunchy, not too sweet and full of flavour! A firm family favourite in our household.
- For the Home-made Granola Crunch
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 60 ml (2 oz / 1/4 cup) melted coconut oil
- 60 ml 2 oz / 1/4 cup) maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 120 g (4 oz / 11/4 cup) gluten-free milled oats
- 20 g (3/4 oz / 1/4 cup) desiccated (shredded) coconut
- 60 g (2 oz / 1⁄2 cup) chopped walnuts
- 60 g (2 oz / 1/4 cup) whole buckwheat
- 40 g (11/2 oz / 1/4 cup) black sesame seeds
- 1/2 tablespoon grated orange zest To Serve:
- fruits and berries
- chopped nuts and seeds
- edible flowers (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 140ºC (275ºF/Gas 1).
- In a bowl, stir together the mashed banana, melted coconut oil, maple syrup and cinnamon. Make sure you have an even mixture without any lumps.
- Add all the dry ingredients to the mixture except the sesame seeds and orange zest. Make sure everything is well incorporated with the banana mix.
- Line a large baking tray (baking sheet) with greaseproof paper (wax paper). Tip the crunch mixture onto the tray, spreading it out evenly, and bake for 40 minutes. Check it every 10 minutes to make sure it’s not getting burnt. Once the mixture is dry and crispy, it’s done.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool on the tray. Once cool, stir in the orange zest and sesame seeds.
- Transfer to a large glass jar with an airtight lid. Alternatively, store it in a ziplock bag in the freezer, which will keep it fresh and crispy for longer.
- Serve over some overnight oats and choose from any of the serving options. I always tend to go slightly over the top with extra nut butter, berries, nuts, seeds and edible flowers.
- Tip: This breakfast can be made in a bigger batch and lasts for 3–4 days in the fridge. It’s a perfect takeaway breakfast or snack.