Small changes individually add up to make a big difference to the planet. We are all guilty of wasting food and thinking ‘I won’t do that next time.’ Sometimes the leftover veg can be saved so if you have any left right now this recipe is for you.
”Fridge Raid” Puff Pastry Vegan Recipe
- For the Puff Pastry
- 1 sheet pre-rolled puff pastry
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp black sesame seeds
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- any leftover vegetables in your fridge – we used:
- 1 shallot, sliced
- ½ fennel, sliced
- handful of lettuce leaves
- handful of spinach
- ½ red chilli
- 2 small leeks
- 1 red pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
- Roughly chop the vegetables, heat some olive oil in a large frying pan and throw everything in to fry for a few minutes. Add salt and curry powder and mix through.
- Put the vegetable mix into a blender and pulse a few times until almost smooth but still keeping some texture.
- Roll out the puff pastry sheet on a flat surface, empty the blended vegetable mix on top and spread out evenly to cover the puff pastry sheet.
- Roll the puff pastry up gently starting from the longest side and transfer onto a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper, with the seam side facing down.
- With a sharp pair of scissors, snip across the top of the roll to just after halfway down the roll, every 2 inches, and then pull each section to alternate sides.
- Baste the top of the puff pastry with olive oil, sprinkle with the sesame seeds, then bake in the oven for 30 minutes until golden and crispy.