I have always loved sandwich fillers, especially creamy mayonnaise ones, and that will not change anytime soon. So for completely selfish reasons this faux tuna recipe came about and I am so happy I am able to share it with you.
- For the Faux Tuna Melt Toastie
- 240 g (81⁄2 oz) drained tinned artichokes, chopped
- 4 cornichons, chopped
- 1 carrot, grated
- 4 tablespoons Plant Mayo
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- juice of 1⁄2 lemon
- 1 tablespoon chopped dill
- 4 pieces of sourdough or good quality gluten-free bread
- 2 pieces of melty plant cheese (optional)
- olive oil, for brushing
- salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- Start off by putting the artichokes, cornichons, carrot, mayonnaise, mustard, lemon juice and dill in a bowl, season with salt and pepper and give it a good mix. Brush both sides of the bread with oil, then spread two slices with the mix and put a slice of plant cheese on top and seal the sandwich with the other slices of toast.
- Get a frying pan (skillet) nice and hot. Put your sandwiches in the pan and fry for about 5 minutes until a nice crispy brown on the base before flipping and browning the other side. Place on a cutting board and slice in the middle. Eat immediately but carefully so you don’t burn your mouth.