Have you had a long day at work? Can’t be bothered to make dinner? Do you just want to chuck everything into a pot and let it cook itself? Then this is the dish for you! By the time you have put on your comfies and slippers this creamy, indulgent one-pot curry will be ready to be enjoyed. Make extra and freeze to save yourself even more time the next time you’re late home.
Easy One Pot Curry in a Hurry
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon good-quality yellow curry spice mix, plus more if required
- 1 carrot, chopped into small pieces
- 1/2 aubergine (eggplant), chopped into small pieces
- 1 potato, chopped into small pieces
- 45 g (11/2 oz / 1/4 cup) dried red lentils
- 400 ml (14 fl oz / 11/2 cups) coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- big handful of spinach
- big bunch of basil
- salt and pepper, to taste To serve:
- Pomegranate seeds
- Chopped peanuts
- Squeeze of lime
- Coriander (cilantro) leaves
- Edible flowers (optional)
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat. Add the oil and gently fry the shallot and garlic until transparent. Then add the curry spice mix, carrot, aubergine and potato and fry for another 5 minutes.
- Stir in the lentils followed by the coconut milk and simmer over low heat, covered, for 25 minutes.
- Remove the lid, taste and adjust the seasoning with salt or more spice mix, add a dollop of peanut butter and stir in a handful of spinach and basil. I also love to scatter over pomegranate seeds and peanuts for extra crunch and give it a final squeeze of lime to cut through the creaminess of the curry, then throw over a few coriander leaves and edible flowers, to add some colour.
- Serve as it is or with some steamed rice, quinoa or buckwheat on the side.