Learn how to make pan friend crispy chickpeas for a delicious vegan meal with extra crunch. This is a real hearty satisfying meal that’s really popular in Rome. If you’ve not tried crispy chickpeas before you’re in for a treat – they’re great for snacking on too!
Chickpea Penne Pasta & Pesto Vegan Recipe
- For the Pan Fried Crispy Chickpeas with Penne Pasta:
- 1 can chickpeas, drained
- 250g pasta, cooked as per packet instructions
- 1 packet tender stem broccoli, washed and roughly chopped (and any other greens you have)
- 1 leek or onion, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, sliced
- olive oil, for frying
- handful of fresh greens, to serve For the Pumpkin Seed Pesto:
- 250ml olive oil, plus extra for sealing
- 120g pumpkin seeds
- 30g bunch of basil
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- ½ tbsp each salt and black pepper
- Cook the pasta as per the packet instructions.
- Add some olive oil into a pan and once hot, add the chickpeas and fry until crisp for about 5-10 minutes. Press some of the chickpeas down with a spatula as they are cooking. Once done, remove from the pan and set aside.
- While this is cooking, add the ingredients of the pesto to a blender (or a mortar and pestle if you have one), and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Fry up some garlic & onion in some olive oil, along with some greens or whatever else you have in the fridge, for a few minutes.
- Then add the cooked pasta, a dollop of pumpkin seed pesto, and top off with an extra drizzle of olive oil and the crispy chickpeas on top.
- Sprinkle with some fresh greens to serve.