Carrot Cake with Turmeric Frosting
- For the Carrot Cake
- 280ml maple syrup
- 280g gluten-free flour
- 320ml plant milk (I like to use oat milk)
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 470g grated carrots
- 10 dates, pitted and chopped
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 4 whole cloves, crushed in mortar & pestle, or use 1 tsp ground cloves
- 5 cardamom pods, crushed in mortar & pestle, or use 1 tsp ground cardamon For the Turmeric Frosting:
- 320g cashews, soaked for 2 hours, then drained
- 120ml maple syrup
- 120ml plant milk
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 2 vanilla pods (bean), scraped, or 2 tsp vanilla paste / extract To serve:
- 50g desiccated coconut
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Line a classic sized rectangular baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- Put all the cake ingredients into a bowl and give it a really good mix. Transfer to the baking tray and bake in the oven for 40 minutes.
- In the meantime, add all the frosting ingredients to a blender and blitz until you have a lovely smooth consistency. Let the frosting cool in the fridge.
- Once the cake is cooked, transfer to a wire rack until completely cool.
- When cold, smooth the frosting over the top and sprinkle with desiccated coconut!