Broth & Greens
- For the Broth & Greens
- 1⁄2 yellow onion, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon five-spice
- 1 tablespoon miso paste
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 500 ml (17 oz/2 cups) vegan stock
- 2 pak choy (bok choy), cut in half
- 100 g (31⁄2 oz) tenderstem broccoli, cut in bite-size pieces
- 1 handful of kale
- 260 g (91⁄2 oz/2 cups/heaped 11⁄3 cups) precooked brown or white rice
- 1 thumb-sized piece of ginger root, freshly grated
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- olive oil, for frying To Serve:
- sriracha hot sauce
- chopped fresh chilli
- spring onions (scallions), green and all, chopped Boosters:
- hemp hearts
- pumpkin seeds
- sesame seeds
- Heat a little olive oil in a large saucepan, add the onions, garlic and five-spice and fry gently for about 5 minutes.
- Add the cinnamon stick and stock and bring to a simmer. Once simmering, add the pak choy, the tenderstem broccoli and kale. Simmer for a few more minutes. Lastly add the precooked rice, freshly grated ginger, miso paste and tamari.
- Serve immediately with your favourite toppings. I love sriracha, spring onions and chilli for extra kick.