Vegan BLT with Quick Pickle
- For the BLT
- 140g tempe
- 4 slices of sourdough or good quality gluten-free bread
- 2 tablespoons plant mayo
- 4 little gem lettuce leaves
- 1 tomato, sliced For the Marinade:
- 2 tbsp tamari
- 1⁄2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon barbecue spice mix For the Quick Pickle:
- 1⁄2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- sprinkle of brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4) and line a baking (cookie) sheet with baking parchment.
- Mix together the marinade ingredients. Cut the tempe into 0.5cm slices.
- Put the marinade ingredients in a small bowl and stir until the sugar has dissolved.
- Place the tempe slices on the prepared baking sheet and brush evenly with the marinade on both sides, then put in the oven for 10 minutes. Check that they are nice and crisp, then turn them over and return them to the oven for a further 10 minutes until brown.
- While the tempe is browning, soak the onion in the apple cider vinegar and brown sugar to make a quick pickle.
- Now let’s put this bad boy together by toasting the bread and adding a slither of mayonnaise, then a lettuce leaf, tomato slice, barbecued tempe and quick pickled onions. Seal the sandwich with another piece of toast that has a thin layer of mayonnaise on the inside to sandwich better.
- Place on a chopping board, cut through the middle and devour. Make sure no one is around as this is not the sexiest of sandwiches but certainly the tastiest.