Lots of people love their Caesar salads, but it’s not just the dressing that makes this dish stand out. The salad also includes capers, a sheet of nori and crispy garlic chickpeas for a bit of unique twist. Baby gem wedges are a great addition to this salad, they give a lovely fresh crunch.
Baby Gem Wedges and Griddled Corn Caesar
- For the Salad:
- 2 corn on the cob
- 2 baby gem lettuces
- olive oil for frying 2 tbsp Quick Pickled Red Onions For the Dressing:
- 50g cashews, soaked in water for 2 hours, rinsed & drained
- 100ml water
- 1 nori sheet
- 1 tsp capers
- salt & pepper to taste For the Crispy Garlic Chickpeas:
- 1 tin of chickpeas, drained
- generous glug of olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- salt & pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC.
- Add chickpeas, olive oil, garlic and salt & pepper to a baking tray and put in the oven for 30 mins.
- Fill a large frying pan half full of boiling water and boil the corn cobs for 5-10 minutes. Drain and cool slightly, then slice corn off the cob, keeping some parts whole if possible.
- Heat oil in a frying pan, add corn and fry until golden and charred, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, make the dressing by adding all ingredients to a small blender and blitz until smooth.
- Put the gem leaves in a large bowl and mix the dressing through to coat all the leaves.
- To assemble the salad, lay the dressed gem leaves on a platter, add the charred sweetcorn and sprinkle with pickled red onions and crispy chickpeas.