MINESTRONE WITH A TWIST
3 garlic cloves
1 beef tomato
2 sticks of celery
1 small bunch of fresh spinach
1 cup of butter beans (pre cooked)
500 ml organic veggie stock
2-4 cherry tomatoes to garnish
- Start by making a sofrito – frying off the aromatic ingredients to make the base of your soup. Peel and finely chop the onions and garlic, then chop the carrots and celery.
- Add a glug of olive oil to the pan and place over a medium heat. Stir in butter beans, chopped tomatoes and sauté gently (lower the heat if needs be) for 15 to 20 minutes, or until everything is soft but not coloured.
- Add the veggie stock to the softened veggies and bring to the boil. Tip in 1 tbs of tomato puree and bring back to the boil, and simmer on a low heat for around 15 minutes.
- If the soup is too thick, add a little stock or water.
- Season to taste, then add spinach leaves (saving a few to serve) and dress with halved cherry tomatoes and some fresh basil.