Recipe: Korean Pancake With Sliced Roots and Chilli Sweet and Sour Tamari
A quick dish that is guaranteed to be your new favorite : my plant based Korean pancake recipe is crispy on the outside and filled with veggie goodness on the inside, it is wonderful dipped in the best tamari dressing ever! From my plant based cookbook Happy Food.
- 1/2 cup Gluten-free flour mix
- 2/3 cup water
- pinch of baking soda
- olive oil, for frying
- 3 1/2 ounces asparagus spears (1/2 bunch), sliced lengthways
- 1/2 leek, sliced lengthways
- 1 carrot, chopped into thin sticks
For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup tamari soy sauce
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1/2 garlic clove, peeled and grated
- 2 spring onions (scallions), chopped
- black or white sesame seeds
- coriander (cilantro), optional
Gluten-Free flour mix:
- Makes 2 pounds flour, you will have extra:
- 1 1/3 cups brown rice flour
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/2 cup white rice flour
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1/4 cup potato starch/flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- To make the gluten-free flour mix, mix together all the flours and store in an airtight container.
- Start off by mixing all the ingredients for the dressing in a small jar, pop the lid on, give it a shake and set aside.
- In a bowl, mix the flour, water and baking soda and set aside.
- Heat some oil in a frying pan (skillet) over medium heat. Add all the veggies and fry for 5 minutes until brown.
- Spread the veggies out evenly in the pan and pour over the batter until you have a big pancake. Cook for 5 minutes on each side until crispy and golden brown.
- Serve immediately, cut into slices, topped off with the spring onions, sesame seeds, coriander and the amazing dressing alongside.