This is the perfect vegan brunch dish!
Excellent as a savoury plant based breakfast or for any time you’re craving a filling meal. I often have clients with allergies and this is my go-to egg swap meal for them! From my plant based cookbook Happy Food.
Chickpea Omelette with Rocket, Avocado and Mango Salsa
- 70 g chickpea
- (gram) flour
- 125 ml water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- a small pinch of ground turmeric (for colour)
- 1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1/4 red (bell) pepper, finely chopped
- olive oil, for frying For the filling
- handful of rocke or baby spinach
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 small spring onion
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate seeds,
- optional For the mango salsa
- 1 tomato, finely chopped
- 1/2 mango, flesh finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 red chilli, chopped
- drizzle of olive oil
- Start by putting all the omelette ingredients into a bowl except for the shallot and pepper.
- Give everything a good mix and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the salsa. Add all the ingredients to a bowl, give it a good mix and set aside.
- In a hot frying pan, add a drizzle of olive oil and fry the shallot and pepper for about 5 minutes.
- Next, add the omelette mixture to the pan exactly as you would a traditional omelette and make sure it is evenly spread over the base. Fry for 5 minutes and then flip it over to cook the other side.
- Get out a serving plate and transfer the omelette to it. Add one handful of rocket on one side, a spoonful or two of mango salsa, some sliced avocado, some spring onion and the pomegranate seeds, if using. You can choose to eat the omelette flat or fold it over on one side so that its shaped like a half moon. This recipe is best eaten and served immediately. Enjoy!