Oh My – I hope you are ready for this one… because this is truly an intense flavour bomb – but in all the best ways. The recipe perfectly marries together so many different seasonings and combines them with the creaminess for the coconut milk and the crunch and silkiness from the veggies. Finished with a kick of spice and a squeeze of acidity – the best combination… if you ask me.
This recipe is from my second cookbook The 7 Day Vegan Challenge, out now. Grab your copy here.
- 2 rice noodle nests (200 g/7 oz)
- Olive oil, for frying
- 1 onion, sliced
- 4 mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large handful of kale
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- Chopped spring onions (scallions) or chopped coriander (cilantro) leaves, to serve
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1⁄2 lime,
- Skinned and chopped 1⁄2 chilli
- 30 g (1 oz/1/4 cup) cashews
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 400 ml (13 fl oz/generous 11⁄2 cups) coconut milk
For the Base:
- Put the rice noodle nests in a large bowl and cover with boiling water from a kettle. Leave to stand.
- Put all the base ingredients in a blender and whizz until you have a lovely yellow, creamy base and set aside.
- Heat a little olive oil in a large frying pan (skillet) and fry the sliced onionand mushrooms for about 5 minutes 4. until nice and soft. Add the base cream to the pan and gently bring to a simmer.
- Drain the noodles and add them to the pan with a handful of kale and give it a good mix until it’s nice and hot.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately with some fresh spring onion and coriander.
Make sure to tag me in your laksa creations @bettinaskitchen and use the #The7DayVeganChallengeCookAlong