The first time I had this ‘chocolate’ salami sausage wonder was in Italy – it was slightly naughtier as it had a dash of rum in it (feel free to add a splash of your own, no judgements here). But with or without rum, this is a great little treat to have in your fridge because you can cut off little slithers when you are craving something a little decadent. We all deserve to be a little naughty every now and again.
This recipe is from my second cookbook The 7 Day Vegan Challenge, out now. Grab your copy here.
- 60 g (2 oz/1⁄2 cup) hazelnuts (filberts)
- 3 tablespoons cacao
- 60 g (2 oz/1⁄2 cup) almond flour
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 Almond Cookies (see page 126 of The 7 Day Vegan Challenge or shop-bought, gluten-free if you are coeliac), crushed
- 2–3 medjool dates, pitted and torn into pieces
- Put the hazelnuts, cacao, flour, maple syrup and coconut oil into a blender and blitz until all is well combined and is slightly sticky.
- Take out and put in a small bowl. Add the crushed cookies and torn dates and mix well.
- Spoon the mixture onto a sheet of baking parchment, shape into a salami, roll up and tighten at both ends.
- Let it set in the fridge for a few hours or flash freeze in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Once set, cut off slivers and enjoy!
Make sure to tag me in your sausage creations (not something I ever thought I would say!) @bettinaskitchen and use the #The7DayVeganChallengeCookAlong